Why are the Monkees better than the Beatles? I hereby provide you, the truth-seeking reader, with 8 indisputable answers to that question.
1. No Monkees fan has ever sat down with an evangelical look in their eye and explained the history of music to you, whether you wanted them to or not. They're too busy singing to put anybody down.
2. The Monkees did not inspire Noel Gallagher to do anything.
3. Think how many tedious conversations in student bars could be avoided if "Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds" hadn't happened. (There's nothing I, or anyone else, can do about Puff the Magic Dragon. I'm sorry.)
4. Still on Lucy. Without the song, the early homo habilis skeleton found in Africa would not have been named Lucy and Melbourne Natural History Museum would not have felt the need to put a sensor near their Lucy model that played one phrase of the damned song over and over again any time anyone walked any where near her in a manner best described as insufferable. And breathe.
5. The Monkees walk. It's fun to do. No Beatles song has its own walk.
6. "Hey Jude" at Weddings. Worse than "New York, New York". At least that has a traditional drunken dance that goes with it. (see above for songs with accompanying moves being better in general)
7. "Cheer up Sleepy Jean" could always stop my daughter mid-tantrum when we were enduring the terrible twos, a period that went on for about 23 years by my reckoning. This gives it a price higher than rubies.
8. Paul McCartney. Yes. Be honest with yourself now. Totally honest. There. See?
So there we have it. We can all move on now. It's always possible of course that indisputable does not mean what I think it means, but I doubt it.
What's all this then?
I tweet too much. So I needed somewhere else to start storing all the words. This is it. Think of it as the external hard drive for my thoughts.
I don't have an obesssion, a dream, a fixation or a hook, so don't be expecting a focus here. It's like great big lumps of my twitterings. You may see teaching stuff, rants, maternal anxiety and occasional sojourns away from reality.
Anyway, I like a nice chat so we should talk. By we, I of course mean me...